1. Replace text with graphics whenever possible.
2. About one slide for every three minutes of presentation, unless you are using hyper-links.
3. Limit 6 points per slide, 3 words per point…if you insist on using a teleprompter.
4. Limit 2 fonts per slide...avoid the “ransom note” look.
5. Limit 2 levels of bullets…if you still insist on using bullets.
6. Limit animations and transitions…unless they support your message.
7. Black out the screen when the slide is no longer relevant. (Press the “B” key when in presentation mode, or use a black slide, or remote mouse.)
8. Know your goal of your presentation and build slides around it. (What do you want your audience to think, feel, or do differently?)
9. Have a backup plan. (Memory stick, disk, flip chart, white-board.)
10. Start and end on time…and keep them close together.